#031845768 - Heavy-Hearted

[RECORDER CLICKS ON]

[G. CHARLESTON]

Statement of one Johnathan Solemark, regarding an… unusual medical condition developed during adolescence.

[J. SOLEMARK]

That is one way of putting it, yes.

[G. CHARLESTON]

Your input is not required at this stage of the archival process. Original statement taken live, October 7th, 2024. Statement refused to be interviewed without the presence of his- bodyguard?- Petra Aldonzo. I’m sorry- do you really have to be here.

[P. ALDONZO]

The Hand of God requires my presence. If you wish to be in his, I suggest you acclimate to mine, Archivist.

[G. CHARLESTON]

Well, there’s no need to get snappy about it-

[J. SOLEMARK]

Peace, Petra. This man has done nothing to incur our wrath- yet.

Charleston, was it? Let’s get along with this, shall we? I’d hate to take up too much of your time.

[G. CHARLESTON]

[SIGHS]

Thank you. Original statement taken by Gregor Charleston, head of the Void institute. Statement begins.

[J. SOLEMARK]

[CHUCKLES]

Such formalities. Where, exactly, would you like me to begin?

[G. CHARLESTON]

You came here to discuss your medical anomaly, did you not? So, begin with whenever that began.

[J. SOLEMARK]

Naturally.

Well, I suppose it started when I was seventeen. Almost like a song, how everything begins when you’re seventeen. What a song this would make- but, I’m getting ahead of myself. There I was, at seventeen. My mother had died three years prior, and I was in the care of my good friend Petra, here.

Oh- I should also mention this. I began to lose my sight at the same time. I suppose that’s relevant, too.

Anyhows, that’s when it started. The first time I can remember it happening… hm. I was in the kitchen, I remember that much. And I had about half my vision remaining. I could see light, and some color, but not anything well. I can’t remember if I was alone in the house, but I was alone in the kitchen.

I was chopping up vegetables for a soup- probably not the best idea, given how little I could actually see, but I was confident. I had a rhythm to it, a steady slap-chop, slap-chop, and I thought I’d be safe as long as I kept watch of the knife.

Of course, I slipped. The knife’s blade went cold through my fingers, as smooth as a knife through butter. I’d severed parts of two of my fingers- my middle up to the second knuckle, and my index almost completely. What’s peculiar is, through the pain, I could feel the way my flesh split apart. I was acutely aware of how cold steel split ligament from bone, halved muscle and nerve. I knew, even then, that I was not supposed to be able to feel all that. And I was so surprised, I think I forgot to scream.

And there I was. My blood coating the countertops, nothing but pain screaming through my severed nerves. I had really never felt pain like that before- it was my first experience with the blinding euphoria of it all. You can imagine how I felt.

Of course, it didn’t last. You can see that much.

[DRUMS FINGERS ON TABLETOP]

In an instant- I regenerated. Absence of flesh became flesh renewed. Body became real from nothing but air and memory. My hand returned- first from marrow, then bone, then muscle and sinew and finally fresh skin. I felt nothing but numb ecstasy. It was as if I had, in the blurry dredges of my remaining sight, seen God, and in him seen myself. With this, I was infinite. I was immortal. I was eternity, incarnate.

And I think that summarizes that well enough.

[G. CHARLESTON]

You… and you weren’t afraid? Or confused? Or anything?

[J. SOLEMARK]

What would I have to fear? It takes me seconds to regenerate, and I have not yet found something I can’t come back from. What does God fear? In my godhood, I am everything. I am eternal.

I understand that might be… a bit much for you to comprehend.

[G. CHARLESTON]

… Just a tad, maybe.

And that’s all? You… regrew your hand, and you…

[J. SOLEMARK]

Discovered my divinity.

[G. CHARLESTON]

… Yes. That. Was that all? Nothing else remotely supernatural has happened to you since?

[J. SOLEMARK]

Well, it’s hardly the only time I’ve regenerated. And that was only my hand, and only part of it at that. But you seem rather eager to be rid of me. And I’d hate to take up too much of your time…

How about this, Charleston. We’ll make arrangements to meet again in the near future. For now, a parting gift-

[SOUNDS OF RUSTLING FABRIC, FOLLOWED BY THE AWFUL, WET SQUELCHING OF FLESH BEING SEPARATED. A PAUSE, AND A WET THUMPING OF A SMALL OBJECT LANDING ON A TABLE]

[G. CHARLESTON]

W- what is this?

[J. SOLEMARK]

Something to remember me by. A piece of me, so to speak.

[CHUCKLES]

I’m sure your archive will find use for it.

[SHUFFLING NOISES AS JOHNATHAN AND PETRA GET UP FROM THEIR SEATS]

We’ll be on our way. Come, Petra.

[G. CHARLESTON]

Wait! Are you sure you- don’t need an escort out, or anything?

[J. SOLEMARK]

[VOICE GROWING DISTANT]

I’m sure I’ll be fine. After all, I doubt there’s anything here that could do me any lasting harm.

Take care, Charleston, till we meet again.

[P. ALDONZO]

I’ll be watching you, Archivist.

[DOOR SHUTS]

[G. CHARLESTON]

He- he left me his heart.

[RECORDER CLICKS OFF]